Thursday, April 24, 2008

Golden Nuggets

The other night I served up a batch of falafel to my curious in laws. We were shocked to see Dave quickly consume a wrap packed with the mysterious chickpea balls followed by a second serving. He is usual adverse to new and slightly exotic foods. I think Shielah was proud. Anyhow, my recipe, and those I consulted on the internet, directed me to deep fry my falafel, which I did not do. Two centimeters of oil in a pan, perish the thought. Instead I fried the works in batches of ten. I don't recommend this technique. If you make falafel, toss them in some oil and bake them on a cookie sheet. The stove top method is unnecessarily arduous.

I served the falafel in warm Greek pitas with red onion, red pepper, and red tomato (prepped by esteemed assistant). They were a hit.


I haven't included the recipe as I found the balls to be rather chalky once cooled. I want to try the recipe for falafel burgers in the Rebar Cookbook. If these work, I'll pass on the recipe. Otherwise, there are plenty of similar recipes online. The basic gist is mashed up chickpeas with seasoning.

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! Just thought I'd tell you about the pseudo-falafel I made last Friday. I had made a fairly stiff hummus the day before and I just stirred in some leftover rice and shaped them into little patties. I baked them on a greased cookie sheet for about 20 minutes, flipping half way. They were a bit crumbly but tasted good. They passed the "Mike test" which is always the most stringent.

    ReplyDelete