Friday, April 18, 2008

Lemon Poppyseed and Snowstorms

A food blog, good call R1. This combines my two top passions: reading and eating, how lovely. In an effort to add some colour to the blog I am including a picture of the lemon loaf I made yesterday. I made this loaf to accompany the nachos and meatballs served during the Flames game yesterday evening. I needed to find a sweet treat to make without chocolate.. this is rare for me but one of the fans in attendance at the Campbell-dome last night does not like chocolate (I know strange and suspect..however, we will leave my thoughts about non-chocolate-likers for another time.). I adapted this from a recipe I found after a google search and then fiddled with for my own liking. At this point I realize that fellow Reems' are aghast, wondering why I didn't first consult our dessert recipe guru Rose Reisman? Well be reassured that I have in fact made Rose's lemon poppyseed loaf in the past, and while tasty, it requires cream cheese, something I did not have on-hand.

While non-food related, you will see from the picture of the littlest grublet, taken an hour ago, (on APRIL 18th !!!) why I am suddenly becoming more at peace with the idea of moving back to BC...OK, enough rambling, here she is:

Lemon Tea Cake with Honey Glaze

First combine:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup veg oil OR melted butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup milk plus a dollop of yogurt - with all the lemon juice in the recipe you could skip the yogurt. I added slightly more than 1 cup of milk because I decreased the fat content slightly from the original recipe)

Next add:
21/2 cup flour (I used white although the original recipe calls for whole wheat)
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp poppy seeds (optional, not in original recipe but I like the look)

Mix and then bake at 350 degrees for aprox 50 min in a reg size loaf pan. While still warm pierce with a wooden skewer or toothpick and top with glaze.

Glaze
Combine and microwave for aprox one minute:
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used up my one lemon for the loaf portion of the recipe, I substituted lemon from a bottle and it still tasted good).
2 T honey
1 T sugar (I will probably skip the sugar next time and just use honey).

Before signing off I must pay homage to an amazing "koek" baker who is turning 86 years old today. Happy Birthday Grandma!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. yeah, i hear another 30 or so cm. due tomorrow for calgary...enjoy it while you can...got to run atley is into the cords AGAIN...crawling is so overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. Poking holes and pouring glaze makes a loaf so very lemony.

    ReplyDelete