Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Morning Shakes


I'm on a smoothie kick. For the past week, every morning I pull out the fresh fruit and jam it into my food processor along with a scoop of yogurt and a shot of milk. A ten second whiz turns the mess to sweet, sweet nectar. I think I was initially inspired by the yummy fruit shakes at the Rebar. I looked in my handy Rebar cookbook to see what ingredients they use at the restaurant. I found that their shakes seldom include ice (which I think would degrade the blade of my beloved fruit processor) and never a sweetener. I began experimenting with different combinations. I've found that strawberries, one frozen banana, a chilled orange, a small scoop of yogurt, and a shot of milk creates an a-one smoothie. While local strawberries are not yet in season, I've been scooting to China town with my bike and basket to scoop up some low-priced Californians. They're also selling mangoes down there. I love loading up my crate with fresh veg and fruit and then bouncing back home along Vancouver Street.
Sadly, I'm starting at P.C.S. bright and early tomorrow so this will likely be my last fruit creation. At least until the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm. I'm now craving a smoothie. Mike loves smoothies too. His favourite combo? Vanilla yogurt and milk. Seriously strange. Fortunately Finn has not yet followed into his father's footsteps- he goes into total excitement at the sight of an orange or a grape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww rach i can just see you bundled up with produce and zipping along on your bike.

    ReplyDelete