Sunday, May 4, 2008

Coconut Curry

I've been a little quiet on the food blog lately as I began my new job at Pacific Christian last week. Working full time really cuts into my frittering time. But here I am, Sunday morning, pre-church, reporting on a meal prepared and consumed two nights ago.

I had half a block of tofu left over in the fridge and so I decided to whip up a coconut curry stiryfry.

You can use any combination of the following veggies:
Broccoli, carrots, yams, asparagus, peppers, eggplant, mushrooms (these are actually a must), etc.

Plus: garlic and onions and, if you have it, cilantro

Tofu: Chop half a block into squares, toss it with half a TBsp olive or seseme oil and one Tbsp soya sauce. Bake it in the oven or toaster oven for 10-15 min.

Here's what you do!:

Heat some oil in a wok or pan. Toss in the garlic and onion. Stirfry until onions soften. Add any extra hard veggies (if you are using any) such as carrots, or potatoes, or yams. Stiry fry for about 5 mins (or a little less).

Add 1/3 of a can of coconut milk. Add 2-3 Tbsp green curry paste. Mix the curry paste into the coconut milk. Add a shot of lemon or lime juice and 3 Tbsp water. Add more coconut milk if necessary. You need enough liquid to simmer the veggies in.

When the hard veggies are just tender, mix in a couple spoons of brown sugar, a couple Tbsp soy sauce and a some fish sauce (if you have it). Add the remaining veggies plus the rest of the coconut milk and simmer.

Turn up the heat, add the tofu. If you are using bokchoy, add it now. Simmer until sauce reduces and thickens.

When you think its ready, throw in a little extra lemon or lime juice plus cilantro or basil. Check the seasoning and add some more soy sauce if necessary.

Scoop over bowls of rice and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing! I might have to invite myself over for dinner when I'm in Victoria..

    ReplyDelete