Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Stone vs. Cookie Sheet Dilemma

What Reems doesn't love a good pizza. This a popular Friday night meal at the Campbell household. Mikeyc is the king of the pepperoni and feta (the key here is that the pepperoni must be on TOP of the cheese). For myself, a rummage through the crisper drawer to see what veggies are requiring urgent attention. This particular pie had a medley of orange and red peppers, spinach, green onions, and shrimp. The shrimp is a new addition to my pizza repertoire; however, so easy. Just shake some little precooked shrimpies from your bag in the freezer, run under tap water, break into two if desired, and voila! A pizza with class (to combat the more, shall we say, ghetto pepperoni).

Now my other dilemma. Pizza stone or cookie sheet? Now, in the past I have been a stone kind of girl- despite my inital stone near disaster.. the first meal that I ever prepared for future brother-in-law Rhys... note PREHEATING of the stone is required. So when you have a little grublet like Finn lurking in the shadows I find it easier to premake the pizza during nap time or Daddy and Finn hangout time.. This makes the cookie sheet the better option.

Pizza Stone
PROS

  • Nice round shape. who doesn't like a good wedge of the 'za?
  • Years of getting my stones nicely seasoned (don't used soap on them, soak and scrub clean)
  • The bottom gets nice and crispy (although I must say that I am in the soft and doughy team so this is a con for me)
CONS
  • Preheating - requires everything to be preassembled and then thrown together in a mad pizza making frenzy right before they need to go in the oven. This is particularly problematic when making 2 pies.
Cookie Sheet

PROS
  • Can premake your pizzas
  • The doughy crust (A con for some)
CONS
  • Not as cool.
OK, folks. There you have it. Ramblings on pizza stones. Just what you needed to enlighten your otherwise dull existences. Victorians, I look forward to seeing you.. but more importantly to sharing some good eats.

1 comment:

  1. Those look fantastic. I can't speak to your question (pizza stone vs pan) because I've never used the stone. My pizza pan is outfitted with air holes. I find this lets the crust bake evenly and dispels moisture. Anyhoo, I'm thinking we combine forces and make the ultimate pizza this weekend while you're in Victoria. (I've got a wicked chipolte tomatoe sauce).

    ReplyDelete