Sunday, March 28, 2010

Another Thwack at the Rebar Curry


Mooch, you are getting ahead of me. Congrats, I know that will make you happy. I wrote this in response to your Texas entry but then got in a fight with my computer and couldn't upload. Your cinny buns look awesome, by the way. Always a crowd pleaser...Are you planning hotcross buns? Anyways, here's what I wrote on Sunday:

Hi Haley,

Yes, I understand the pre-trip panic. I can only imagine it must be heightened by the added responsibility of a baby and a toddler. I have enough trouble getting my own underwear and wallet (the two essentials) into a bag. In fact, on departure for Mexico, half way to the school, where we met before leaving for the 7:00 ferry, I felt the panic, reached into my purse to feel for my wallet, and sure enough, realized I was driving without it. Needless to say, I was twenty minutes late. The kids were watching from the bus, sleeping bags and pillows already loaded, as my gold beetle came roaring into the parking lot. Well I made it. And all the way home, too. And I've been cooking.

Much of late has been Mexican inspired, but yesterday, due to the presence of a jalapeno pepper and a handful of cilantro in the fridge (yes, I know, Mexican ingredients), I instead went South Asian and tackled that delicious Rebar coconut curry. Yum. I have always been daunted by making my own curry paste. The Rebar list of ingredients looks long and involved. Plus the added weight of making the curry after I've preped the paste... I discovered the secret, which is to make the paste before hand. I've also simplified the recipe to its essential parts and switched the vegetables. Please try this, Moochie, you won't be disappointed.

My Simple Rebar Coconut Curry

Curry Paste

2 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground pepper
4 garlic cloves
A thumb of ginger
½ cup chopped shallots or onions
2 jalapeno peppers
½ tsp red pepper flakes (sub ground red pepper if necessary)
1 bunch cilantro
Juice of a lime or half a large lemon
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 to ½ cup oil

Whiz it all in a food processor


The Curry- Enough for 2-3 servings (make brown rice to accompany)

1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 to 1 and ½ cups coconut milk
2 Tbsp curry paste
¼ cup water
½ a fist sized potato
½ Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp fish sauce (optional)
½ a red pepper
½ cup sliced mushrooms
½ cup grate cabbage
A squeeze of lime or lemon juice

Heat a pan over medium heat and add about ¼ to 1/3 cup of coconut milk. Add the curry and mix it in. Add the water and potatoes and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until the potatoes are just tender.

Add the sugar, soy and fish sauce, remaining veggies, chickpeas, and remaining coconut milk. The coconut should cover the veggies. If it cooks down too much you can always add more coconut milk and/or more water. Cover and cook until the veggies are tender.

Just before taking off the heat, stir in the lime juice. Taste, and adjust the seasoning to taste (more soy sauce or salt or lime or curry paste).

No comments:

Post a Comment