Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rach-
Hmm.. I seem to recall you and I taking an extended blogging break right around this time last year. Our common Reems-ness finds too much multi-tasking difficult and not really worth the effort. For you, another stint as a traveling chef to Mexico, and for me, a trip to Texas with the family made blogging impossible.

I never do well with preparing for trips. In order to pack the requisite gear for a toddler, infant, and self for a 10 day trip one needs to be organized. First strike. In order to complete such packing it also helps to have a functioning washing machine. Second Strike. Finally, there was the tiny matter of realizing the day before we left that you actually need to register your newborn in order to be receiving health coverage. Third Strike.. In classic Haley procrastination-regret-panic mode, everything came together. Coby got health coverage, me and the Sears Appliance-fix-it guy are tight (turns out you need to empty your pockets before you wash your clothes - crazy, crazy times). As you know Rach, none of this is new or surprising. I got myself through university, actually made it to my wedding, and have perforned many, many events in similar fashion. It drives Mike crazy but I claim that it is the element of the unknown that keeps the love alive (that, and the fact that I make everyone around me feel organized and oh-so together by comparison).

Mike and I, in our classic traveling tradition, this time with a new generation of eaters, ate our way from Houston to Dallas. In terms of sheer caloric intake, this trip came close to our New Orleans honeymoon, or possibly to the very high carb- mainly croissant, baguette and pastry diet that saw me through the France portion of a Europe backpacking trip many years ago (Amen Heather?).

I have several recipes to bring to the table, and will post soon, but just wanted to let you know that I am alive and eating. The Texans are not a bunch that are fond of vegetables. Or even sweets for that manner. No, it's all about that meat. Smoked meat that is. You are not a true Texan until you own at least one smoker. On our journey I ate the following smoked items (in no particular order): pulled pork, various sausages, and brisket. Yes brisket. It was almost enough for a west coast girl to pull out the tofu, but I perservered and let the brisket work the magic. And oh the magic.

2 comments:

  1. Haley, you had me at pulled pork. Glad you had a great trip. Can't wait to hear about all that meaty-goodness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your next door neighbor...long live Chilliwack! There is so much raw talent here just waiting to be discovered. See you on the block...probably with a granola bar and cookie in hand!

    From the corner house, keep up the writing, i feel like i'm living in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete