Monday, April 12, 2010

Bars and Binoculars


Dearest O-Choo-Me(e) Ebab, (Haley's third nickname, Moocho Babe backwards, pronounced with a slight accent.)
To answer the questions posed in you last post, we ate the mango, although it was lying on the table for a day previous, not quite having made it into the fruit basket. I admit, I left it in the photo for purely aesthetic reasons. I think you can agree that I made the right choice. The binoculars are C's, not mine. He uses them for a variety of activities: one, squirrel monitoring (He's big, pesky and grey and digs up the neighbour's garden. I don't think they realize.) Two, humming bird watching. (Three humming birds visit the tree below our kitchen window. C. is interested and excited by their presence. I've lost interest.) Third, chem trail examinations. (Chem trails are the white clouds left by jets, for which C. has formed a mild obsession). So far, we have resisted the urge to train the lenses on the neighbour's window.


Now, for the food, as usual we are in the same head space. I also experimented with squares this weekend. I bought my first stocks of Rhubarb last week. Yes, very exciting. And went looking for a new recipe in which to use the bounty. This crumble bar recipe came from the Smitten Kitchen blog, although where she uses raspberries, I subbed rhubarb. With excellent results, I have to say. These bars are incredibly yummy. The one other itsy change I made was to cut out the second addition of butter. I'm not going to rewrite the recipe. Instead check it out on this mother of food blogs, Smitten Kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. i got some rhubarb yesterday and now know what i want to do with it..in fact the bars are in the oven as we speak! you ladies are making this pregnancy difficult for me with all your yummy looking sweets...i'm trying to just bake and feel satisfaction in watching others enjoy them, somehow not quite the same but will have to do for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, if you're ever in the need/want/desire for rhubarb, email me. I'll allow you to be the Peter Rabbit to Sheehan's Mr.McGregor. Our plant is huge & rhubarb tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I pass up that offer? If not so much for the rhubarb but for the peter rabbiting to sheehan mcgregor opportunity!

    ReplyDelete