Monday, September 13, 2010

Oma's Krentenbrood Take 1


Well Rach -

In our first childhood nostalgia challenge, I'm not ready to post my final recipe for Oma's Krentenbrood (Dutch for raisin bread). The first loaf was heading in the right direction, but it's not there yet. I have a few adjustments to try in order to replicate a true Oma loaf. I carefully followed her recipe (as dictated to me post-swim over coffee last year in the Commonwealth Pool cafe), but have to do some tinkering.

For those who haven't had the pleasure of a slice of Oma Krentenbrood, I'll give you a quick run down. Oma is past her baking days, but in her prime she was the queen of several recipes that she sporadically produced from her kitchen (Oma would rather read a book or go for a swim then spend an extended amount of time in the kitchen). She was infamous for showing up with her signature dense rectangular loaf, packed full of raisins and Christmas peel. This was not a light, airy bread, but you couldn't beat anything like a toasted slice of Oma's raisin bread slathered in butter (or of course, in our childhood home that would be margarine). Looking back, I feel that Oma was somewhat smug about her grandchildren's love for this bread, and knew that part of the appeal was the scarcity of supplied goods.

My issues were along the lines of texture and shape- I feel that an unusual pan shape is key to reaching the childhood long rectangular slices (no rising dome top to this bread)- maybe you should go have a rummage through her cupboards one more time to find the necessary loaf pan - definitely bigger than your average loaf pan, but I feel like it was smaller than a 9 inch square pan. I also think that I need my dough needs to be a bit wetter. I'm going to increase the liquid next time.

That said, we are down to our last two slices, the kids and I are fully indulging in our chock full of dried fruit, white flour deliciousness.

4 comments:

  1. I would suggest to give up the hope of ever finding the right size loaf pan for the Krentenbrood! I have in the hope of it showing up by surprise in the thrift store!! or any store for that matter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Auntie Alice - So you're on the Krentenbrood trail as well - I guess I should have given you a call before tackling the recipe. The right pan has to be out there somewhere (thanks for affirming my pan theory:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that you should bring up the loaf pans. This truly is a mystery as the other day, I was visiting Oma and I asked her about the pans...she opened up the cupboards to show me what they looked like but, gasp, the pans were missing. We looked everywhere but couldn't find them. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping there'd be a recipe on this page!

    ReplyDelete